Wednesday, October 8, 2008

FINAL WORD ON TWO OF A KIND

As we move on to the next themed mix, here is some select commentary on a few of the songs that made the final mix. Without further ado, the final word on Two Of A Kind: A Mix of Duets...

Brandon
Album: Trucker's Memorial (2006)
Submitted by: Tualla
I love that Decroo and Spoon are both singing about a love for 'Brandon' with references to Brandon, the wheat city, and some boy with the same name.


Evening Gown
Album: Down to the Promised Land
Submitted by: Enrico
From the double record compilation celebrating Bloodshot Records' first 5 years (and it's now 13 years and still going strong), a really lovely cover of one the few gems from Mick Jagger's solo career - Langford delivers his lines with a wink and a smile, and throw in the not-so-secret weapon of Kelly Hogan harmonizing with the two of them. I hear this and I feel like I'm camped out on Lincoln Ave at Delilah's on Wednesday night...


The False Husband
Album: Ballad of the Broken Seas (2006)
When the Duet theme was announced this one came immediately to mind. The stark contrast in their voices really works well together. Though I've been a longtime fan of Lanegan, I never really listened to Isobel Campbell before. The little bit of Belle and Sebastian I had heard was
just too twee for me, but this stuff works. It was one of my favorite albums from 2006.


Here I Go
Album: Radio Country (2007)
Submitted by: Tualla
Tom and Tara Dunphy are the perfect mix of Canadian East Coast Celtic and Ontario hayseed country.


Sometimes Always
Album: Stoned and Dethroned (1994)
Submitted by: Mike
A transcendent duet.


My 45
Album: Dirt Don't Hurt (2008)
Submitted by: Jeff
From Holly's brand new one. I'm liking the new album better than the first
one. Not that its a big departure or stylistic advance; it just seems to have a little more spunk than the first one did. Although I long for Holly to put the full band back together and do another garage rock album, this direction seems to be working for her right now.


Miss Sarajevo
Album: Original Soundtracks 1
Submitted by: Mike
I love how Luciano blows Bono out of the water. This song gives me chills.


Heart In Sorrow
Album: Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry Sing (1958)
Submitted by: Enrico
From one of their great acoustic collaborations of the last 50s - it's mostly Brownie's show but everything gets taken up a notch whenever Sonny joins in.


Reunion
Album: Spinning Around the Sun (1993)
Submitted by: Enrico
Perhaps Jimmie's most polished album, but the records that had me scrambling to pick up any and all of his earlier efforts (which i loved even more) as well as learning all about the Flatlanders. Lucinda took a break from her six year odyssey in recording Car Wheels to offer up this solid co-vocal.


Sand
Album: Nancy & Lee (1968)
Submitted by: Enrico
A Postcard-flavored duets mix would not be complete without an entry from the masters. As the brief allmusic review puts it: "a smart, sexy, lip-smacking bowl of mind candy."


Good To Be On The Road Back Home
Album: When I was Born For the 7th Time (1997)
Submitted by: Enrico
Just when you think you get a handle on this album (Indian drones, electronica, hip-hop, indie pop) - this country-tinged song hits you like a ton of bricks - and features an out-of-nowhere vocal from the always impressive Paula Frazer of Tarnation fame.


In The Ghetto
Album: Lilith Fair, Vol. 2 (1999)
Submitted by: Mike
I am uncertain if this was from an old comp or off the internet. Bar Clock Note: Found out it was from one of the Lilith Fair highlight comps.


In Spite Of Ourselves
Album: As I Live and Breathe (2005)
Submitted by: Lauree
Arlington/DC band, The Starlingtons, covering the John Prine tune.
www.myspace.com/starlingtons


We Go Together
Submitted by: Graeme
Northern Soul stomper ripped from a 1968 7" on ABC. I know nothing about them.


Spastic Reaction
Album: Two Cents Plus Tax (1998)
Submitted by: Lauree
Indie rock faves...I've always loved this song, how their vocals play off each other, and the lovely little melody of an extra guitar adds a third voice (it gets buried sometimes, but I know it's there).


Papa Was A Rodeo
Album: Beneath the Country Underdog (2000)
Submitted by: Mike
Since I used the Magnetic Fields on an earlier comp, I swapped in the Kelly Hogan version. She played it at SXSW one year, rightfully proclaiming it as one of the best songs ever written. I love this song.


If I Could
Album: Hoist (1994)
Submitted by: Enrico
Before Robert Plant, before O Brother, before most of the Grammy awards, Ms. Krauss was hanging with the much beloved (and loathed) band from Burlington, Vermont. The album where a lot of the studio weirdness was shaken off and restricted to the live setting. I cannot listen to this album and not think of wild college times.


I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You
Album: State of Grace (2007)
Submitted by: Enrico
A cover of the Hank Williams tune by Sherman, Wendell, and Popsy, with country royalty providing a guest vocal. As always, the vocals and instrumentation are top notch as they are on any Holmes Brothers album over the past fifteen + years.


No comments: