Sunday, May 17, 2009

FINAL WORD ON ALL THE LITTLE PRETTIES...

Some select commentary from the mix contributors:
Corey on Teedy:
Vulture Whale's lead track on their latest album- what's not to love? It starts out with the maxell cassette tape beep, and then talks about the transformation of a gal who wears turtlencks and drives real slow who quickly starts smoking hoglegs and starts strippin'....ass shaking hilarity ensues.

Steve on Marlene:
A favorite song, and the upbeat attitude reminds me of spring.

Corey on Nancy Reagan's Head:
Roxy Music came to save the world and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
.

Enrico on When Tiffany Cries:
A tune from the Cleveland-based power pop cult act The Mice - who had a big influence over Guided By Voices (you can picture Pollard belting this one out). Pretty soon after this music was released, The Mice disbanded and the lead singer Bill Fox made a go of it as a solo artist, but he vanished from the scene in the late 80s. In 2007, Fox was the subject of a Joe Hagan article in the June/July issue of The Believer, in which Hagan set out to answer to the question "Why Did Bill Fox Stop Playing Music?"

Enrico on Come On, Claire:
First brought to my attention by the mighty Jim Kotsonas and his legendary New Release Mondays Song of the Day epic posts on Postcard - this is a single from the fall of 2008. Uploaded for two reasons: 1) I love the happy-go-lucky mid 80s sound of the music as the lyrics get darker and darker, and 2) I didn't know if Lauree would be back from the UK in time and this mix screamed out for some Scottish pop (Lauree also came through on that end).

Graeme the Newlywed on Anna:
A heartbreaker from Sweden's finest.

Tualla on her selection of a song with a girl's name (we opted for the ladies of Bar Clock to upload songs with men's names in the titles, and they chose not to...)
So I primarily listen to guys singing. Guys singing about girls - so that's what you get. This is Calgary's Woodpigeon live on the BBC in February.

Jeff on Help You Ann:
The Lyres - 80's garage rock revival, from Children of Nuggets.

Goodale on Loretta:
The ideal woman. I guess.

Lauree on Daisy:
Friends of mine from Wilmington, NC. I haven't seen them in years, but this song is so much fun live!

The Judge on Little Caney:
I don't know this for a fact, but I have always understood Little Caney to be a sweet little girl, not unlike one of my own, who is being accompanied through a family graveyard on a beautiful spring day (with the grass growing as tall as Caney....everybody knows that the grass grows tallest in spring...after that first spring cut, it stays cut through summer.) Even without the lyrics (that I love) I think that this song epitomizes the sound of spring to me...so I was pretty pleased that it had (what I presume to be) a girl's name in the title, too for purposes of this wonderful endeavor.

Lauree on choosing some Scottish pop (as if there was any doubt):
Ultimately the Scottish pop won out. Mainly because it's a better quality mp3 than the Swedish pop song I was going to include. Because I care!

Steve on Black Eyed Susie:
OK, so this one stretches the concept a bit, but it fits the qualifers and the title of the mix!


No comments: